Friday 29 October 2010

"You're the guy that killed Mozart!" - my own personal snippet of intertextuality from the celluloid GEM *cough cough* that is 'The Last Action Hero.' It's a sect of dialogue directed at one of the actors refering to one of my favourite films - 'Amadeus' which ironicly doesn't really refer to much historical reality.
Gone are the days of 3 hour lectures on cell biology and the integrity of the stuctural elements of 2,4 dinitrophenylhydrazone, and I've never loved character creation more! Grease! Pulp Fiction! Planet of the Apes! This is what deadbeats napping in lectures dream about. This has to be one of my favourite lectures thus far; fun, entertaining, thought provoking and interesting! Even the lecture...who knew Dracula was meant to look like a penis? Neeless to say, I got thinking about this. Being a lilly livered jessy, I found the pre 1980's draculas bloody scary, not only that, but they had the skin crawling qualities of a mangey dirty old man staring down your top and rubbing his thighs - Robert Pattenson and the breed of vampires we see these days, seem to induce this type of behavior in myself. How times have changed from rapey sexy, to sexy sexy. I thought it was quite bizzare and fascinating the way the vampire aesthetic has changed so much.
I can't say I can this of too many uses of intertextuality at this precise moment in time, but I shall be sure to post them as I do. God bless potato farls. Here are a few I enjoyed.....
 David Cerny's representation of Saddam Hussein floating in a tank of formaldehyde is paying obvoius homage to Damien Hirst's 'The Physical Impossibitity of Death in The Mind of Someone Living.' We are still in unnaturally close proximity to one of lifes many widow makes, staring death in the face - only this time it wears a different guise. It's a bit cheeky and naff, but I like it. Sort of.


I know it's an obvious one. Don't judge me for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment